How to Record and Download HBO GO Shows & Movies to Watch Offline
We all love HBO GO – but unfortunately, HBO GO doesn't give you a way to watch offline without WiFi – or save HBO GO show series and movies to watch after they have "expired" (removed from HBO GO). So, how can you download HBO GO movies and series?
Option 1. Record HBO GO with the PlayOn Cloud Mobile Streaming DVR App
The newly launched PlayOn Cloud for iOS and Android devices is a mobile app that lets you record and download from streaming services like HBO GO. Initiate recordings from your mobile device from anywhere and we'll notify you when your HBO GO recording is complete. Recordings will be temporarily stored in a complimentary cloud “locker” and available for download from anywhere on any device.
Just install the app from Google Play or the App Store, browse to the show you want to record on HBO GO, and click on record. The app is free to install all you pay is a low per-recording fee.
» Learn more about PlayOn Cloud.
Option 2. Record HBO GO with PlayOn Desktop on your PC
PlayOn Desktop is software for your PC that acts as a streaming DVR (SVR) and media server in one. It lets you record streaming video like HBO GO shows and movies – it's similar to how a DVR works for your TV. HBO GO videos are recorded and saved as .mp4 files to the hard drive on your PC. You will be able to easily move your .mp4 recordings to any device to watch any time – even offline. You'll even be able to record and download all episodes of top-rated HBO shows with just one click, or tell PlayOn to automatically download new HBO GO series episodes as they come online. Plus you can even cast recordings to your TV.
Record HBO GO shows and movies in just 3 easy steps.
- STEP 1 Download and install PlayOn.Download PlayOn for Windows, hit “Save File” then click on the PlayOn.exe file to install it. Follow the installation instructions and you’ll be recording HBO GO videos in moments.
- STEP 2 Enter your cable provider Username and Password to access HBO GO.Click on the Channels tab at the top then click into the HBO GO channel. You will be instructed to Open Settings.
Scroll down to the HBO GO channel and click on Login. Select your television provider and enter your Username and Password and click Login. Verify that you can play a HBO GO video in the PlayOn Browser window. If you see it playing, you can X out and click the check box. PlayOn securely stores your account information. Hit OK to close out.
- STEP 3 Find the HBO GO show or movie you want to record and hit the Record button.Just type the streaming show you want in the search bar or browse the HBO GO channel to find the titles you are interested in recording. Click on the title you want and hit the Record button.
That's it! You are recording HBO GO. You can add more titles to your queue at any time.
Now you can use your PC to do whatever you like and PlayOn will make the recording in the background. When the recording is complete – you will receive a notification.
Once you have recorded your HBO GO video, you can also:
- Download and transfer your HBO GO movie or show to your iPad, iPhone, Android phone or tablet to watch from anywhere, anytime.
- Watch your HBO GO recording on your TV by clicking Cast from the PlayOn PC console (if you have a streaming device).
- Watch your recording from the free PlayOn channel on your Roku. It is essentially an .mp4 file for you to watch whenever and wherever you want.
Get PlayOn Desktop