Mar. 28, 2014
Are you a PlayOn user that also has a Chromecast? We need your help!
We just finished developing our Chromecast device support (phew!) and seriously upgraded the PlayOn Browser feature for it (and for Roku and Xbox 360/One). We'd love you to give it a spin and let us know if you encounter any problems!
You can update your PlayOn/PlayLater to the Beta version of our next release with Chromecast support here:
(If you have both PlayOn and PlayLater, you need to update both to use the RecordTo feature in the PlayOn Browser. BE SURE TO INSTALL PLAYON FIRST AND THEN PLAYLATER SECOND)
With no user interface and no remote control, the Chromecast is a little different....instructions on how to watch PlayOn's 60+ channels on your Chromecast and to cast to the Chromecast from any PC browser using the PlayOn Browser feature are below.
PlayOn Chromecast Instructions:
You can use your PC or an Android, iOS, or BlackBerry device to send videos to your Chromecast with PlayOn. You will need to have the Beta verson of PlayOn (links above) installed on your PC and either the PlayOn browser extension installed for Chrome, Firefox, Opera, or Internet Explorer or the PlayOn Mobile app installed on your mobile device. The PlayOn Mobile app is available for free from the Android, iOS, and BlackBerry app stores (just search for PlayOn Mobile and you should find it).
Make sure your Chromecast is plugged-in when you update to the Beta version of PlayOn!
Sending a video from PlayOn Mobile
1. Open the PlayOn Mobile app on your phone or tablet and connect to your PlayOn server.
2. Find a video you want to stream to your Chromecast and tap it.
3. Tap the Play button.
4. Select your Chromecast from the list that appears.
Sending a video from a website
1. In your PC's web browser (you may need to enable the extension in your browser’s settings), browse to the video you want to send to your Chromecast.
2. Click the PlayOn extension icon and follow the steps to create your bookmark.
3. On the last step, select the Cast button and choose your Chromecast from the list.
That's all there is to it!
We LOVE feedback! PLEASE send any problems via submitting a support ticket in PlayOn Settings, and any comments can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for giving us a testing hand!
Mar. 26, 2014
Love PlayOn? Always helping your friends and family get their streaming set up? Why not make $$ doing it?
If you are the one everyone turns to for help cutting the cable cord or setting up their Media Centers, and you LOVE doing it...this may be the job for you. Work from home. Competitive pay. Great team. Nights and Weekends.
What you need:
- The technical knowledge/skills to troubleshoot issues with PlayOn|PlayLater
- Good writing skills [support is provided via email]
- A kind, customer service-oriented nature [we like our customers to feel warm and fuzzy]
- Send a resume with a summary of why you think you’d be a good fit for the team to email@example.com
Mar. 12, 2014
Just wanted to post a note to share how excited I am about the campaign we are launching with the March of Dimes. I have been working with the March of Dimes for the past 5 years since my daughter Millie was born at just 26 weeks and 2 lbs. She spent 100 days in the NICU at Swedish Hospital in Seattle and in addition to the incredible care from the nurses and neonatologists, the March of Dimes was instrumental in helping us through a terrifying ordeal. The research funded by the March of Dimes has enabled survival rates of preemies to sky rocket and importantly, the quality of life of a preemie to increase as well. In years past, Millie, if she had survived her first few weeks of life, would have been blind, and likely suffered from cerebral palsy. Instead she is a thriving, healthy 5 year old.
Millie was born in mid-November and spent 3.5 months in the hospital after he birth, fighting for her life. That meant that we (my husband, son and extended family) spent a Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years in the NICU. The March of Dimes provided “family” support to help us through these rough times – including a mentorship program with parents on the flip side of what we were going through, a Thanksgiving feast for families of infants in the NICU, and even a visit from Santa for Millie’s first Christmas photo. These programs helped educate us and bring joy into our lives during our 100 day stay.
In addition to the support from our extended families and friends and the March of Dimes, I have to give a shout out to the PlayOn team and my amazing colleagues. They picked up the slack while I was out and supported me 100% in being with my daughter whenever possible and giving myself 100% to helping her through, at the expense of EVERYTHING else. I attribute my ability to laser focus on being with her and caring for her to the amazing outcome she achieved.
Now, I am honored to be in a position to give back, not only personally (we have a March for Babies Family Team, TeamMillie which raises funds each year and for 2013, I had the honor of being the “top walker” in Washington State – raising the most funds) but to be able to give back through the company I co-founded over 10 years ago. A company with heart and soul – PlayOn!
So – for the Month of March – we are promoting Cut the Cord and Care for Babies. For every purchase made through this campaign, we will donate $5 to the March of Dimes.
Mar. 12, 2014
Yup...that's right. Rdio has been added to the lineup of cool plugins available at the PlayOn Plugin Channel Store.
'Your personal jukebox. No quarters necessary.
Play what you want, when you want, from millions of hits and classic albums — or turn on a station for a perfect mix of songs. Feeling social? Follow friends and artists to see what they're playing.'
Aside from being an awesome music service, Rdio being available via PlayOn is cool for a number of reasons...The native Rdio Roku channel requires a 9.99 monthly subscription to listen but you can use PlayOn at your Roku to connect to your free Rdio account...no paid subscription required.
And there are also advantages of using PlayOn to connect to Rdio on mobile devices - While you can listen to "stations" free on mobile devices using the official Rdio app, playlists and full albums are only available with a Premium account.
Using PlayOn and the Rdio plugin, however, makes it possible to listen to full albums along with any of the playlists you have created on your PC...with a FREE Rdio account!
What are you listening to?
Get the Rdio plugin hereShareThis
Feb. 7, 2014
The 2014 Winter Olympics, officially the XXII Olympic Winter Games, have kicked off in Sochi, Russia.
Now that the live streams are available online, our team is hard at work building a plugin for the PlayOn Plugin Channel Store.
In the meantime, you can stil watch your favorites events live at your TV or mobile device using PlayOn.
Just be sure you have the PlayOn browser extension installed and browse here:
You can also find more videos here (replays and highlights): http://www.nbcolympics.com/video
- Play the video (you'll have to log in with a cable provider to watch the live stream and full event replays)
- Click on the PlayOn browser button
- In the PlayMark window that opens, verify the video is playing (and crop if you like)
- Click Next and then choose whether to 'Save' or 'PlayCast To' your TV. If you have PlayLater installed and running, you will also be presented with the option to record.
If you have any trouble, please try this:
- Stop the PlayOn server
- Hold SHIFT+ALT while starting the server again
- In the Internet Explorer window that opens, browse here: http://stream.nbcolympics.com
Choose a video - Are you prompted to log in? If so, log in and play the video.
Close IE, re-open your browser and try again to save or cast the video.
Feb. 6, 2014
Any music lovers out there? Check out this cool site
Live From Daryl's House
Some truly remarkable performances, and it works great with PlayMark and PlayCast! Just be sure to click on "Play Full Show" after selecting an episode...and then cast away...or record each week's new episode to watch whenever you like.
Dec. 23, 2013
Thank you for sharing some of your favorite holiday favorites with us. Here are a few of our own. Watch via PlayOn or record using PlayLater.
It's a Wonderful Life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frXklECPkD0
A Christmas Carol (1951): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XNKe1cGucY
A Christmas Carol (1984, George C Scott): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvdMjXhPGd0
Classic Disney Christmas Collection: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC-EWiwySjE
Twas the Night Before Christmas (1974): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOUFMmprpLI
Are You Being Served Christmas Special (1976): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOUFMmprpLI
Miracle on 34th Street (1947): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Ch6ivXHJo
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation: Netflix and Amazon Prime
Bah HumDuck - A Looney Toons Christmas!: Netflix
The Polar Express: Netflix
White Christmas: Netflix
The Nightmare Before Christmas: Netflix
Santa Claus The Movie: Netflix
Jack Frost (animated): Amazon Prime
The Legend of Frosty the Snowman: Hulu (free)
Scrooged: Amazon PrimeShareThis
Dec. 3, 2013
So you've got an HD PlayOn or PlayLater license (or both!). Here's an HD primer to get you started!
Here are just a few of our favorite YouTube channels with HD videos. All you need to do is subscribe to the channel or add specific videos to a playlist under your YouTube user account.
- NPR Music channel - NPR live sessions
- Documentary HD channel- Some cool documentaries in HD
- KEXP channel - KEXP radio live performances from some amazing musicians in HD
- The Black Cab Sessions - intimate music performances in the back of a black cab
- A channel filled with cool animations by Patrick Boivine - this guy is super talented!
Random favorite videos (you can add specific videos to a playlist under your YouTube user account):
- Dragon Baby
- At-At Day Afternoon
- Austin City Limits full-length concerts in HD
- Videos from the Discovery channel
- Mumford & Sons Live
Getting smart has never looked so good! American Experience, Austin City Limits and Nova are a few of our favorites (check out a recent episode of Austin City Limits for an excellent performance by Jim James of My Morning Jacket! New episodes are available each week, but they aren't available long - record in HD using PlayLater before they expire!)
And, if last year is any indication, the 4th season of Downton Abbey should be available to stream free (!) for a limited time - that means you should be able to watch in HD using PlayOn or record using PlayLater before they expire.
MTV & VH1
Watch popular shows like Awkward in HD using PlayOn (or record to watch on the go). And don't forget Behind the Music Remastered from VH1 - Everything you wanted to know about the dudes from Motorhead - in HD!
Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Damages, Falling Skies, Sons of Anarchy and Downton Abbey available to watch or record in HD (we're thinking snowy weekend marathons!)...record now and watch apres ski sans internet ;)
If you haven't already, sign up for a free trial of Hulu Plus and use PlayLater to record full seasons of your favorite shows in HD and watch on any of your devices whenever you like...at home or on the go!
Vimeo is a recent addition to the PlayOn channel lineup and just in time! Some truly amazing HD videos are available. Set up a free Vimeo account and add your credentials to PlayOn and/or PlayLater Settings to follow your favorite HD channels or "like" specific videos.
I'm a hopeless romantic - this is one of my personal favorites: A Short Love Story in Stop Motion.
OR you can also select Categories and then HD and browse hundreds of HD-only channels (literally thousands of amazing HD videos).ShareThis
Dec. 3, 2013
Time and time again, we have heard from users like you asking, “When is high definition coming?” Well, folks, we are so excited to announce that today’s the day! PlayOn and PlayLater are now available in HD. What does this mean, exactly? Without HD, PlayOn and PlayLater deliver video up to 480p. Now with HD, PlayOn and PlayLater can deliver video quality up to 720p, as long as the channel provides content in that quality as well.
WHAT I NEED
You likely already have what you need to watch or record in HD. As long as you have a quad-core processor, your PC should be able to handle streaming and recording in HD, and if you’re an existing PlayOn or PlayLater customer, the software will tell you if your PC is HD-capable. Simply go to Settings and click on the General tab. If your PC is HD capable, you will see a link to “Upgrade to HD” in the Video Performance section. If you don’t have PlayOn or PlayLater, you can check your PC’s PassMark score to see if it can handle HD by clicking here. If your PassMark score is 2300 or higher, your PC is HD-capable.
While not every channel offers high definition content, the channels listed below do. Check the list below to see what you can watch with the new HD offering:
- Hulu Plus
- Fox News
- Animal Planet
- Discovery Channel
- Discovery Fit & Health
- Investigation Discovery
- Military Channel
- Science Channel
- Velocity Channel
- PBS Kids
WHAT WE’RE WATCHING
There is a ton of great HD content available on PlayOn. Below are a few of our favorites. Check back in on Thursday for some additional HD recommendations.
- On YouTube check out the Documentary Channel for some cool documentaries in HD. Subscribe under your YouTube account and stream in HD using PlayOn or record in HD using PlayLater.
- We love Once Upon a Time on ABC. You can catch up on the latest season in HD via Hulu
- Snowed in? We recommend a TV marathon! Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Damages, Falling Skies, Sons of Anarchy and Downton Abbey are all available to watch or record in HD on Amazon Instant Video.
Are you ready to see things a little more clearly on your TV or device? Head to www.playon.tv/features/HD to learn more or to add HD to your PlayOn and PlayLater licenses today!ShareThis
Nov. 20, 2013
We’re excited to announce that PlayCast by PlayOn is now available in the Roku channel store!
PlayCast by PlayOn lets you send videos from the browser of your screen directly to your big screen TV through your Roku. Basically, you have the functionality of a Chromecast, without having to buy a dongle. You can use what you already have – a Roku – to cast videos from your PC to your TV.
What’s awesome about PlayCast by PlayOn is that you can cast videos using the browser of your choice, including Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera.
Want to see how it works? Check out our PlayCast by PlayOn page or take a look at the steps below:
- Download PlayCast by PlayOn for free from the Roku channel store.
- Open PlayOn and enable PlayCast by PlayOn for your browser in your PlayOn Settings. Click on the checkboxes to enable PlayOn for your favorite browsers, and then click the “Apply” button.
- Open a browser and find a cool video that you want to cast to your TV. Nearly any video on any site will work. When you find the one you want to cast, just click on the PlayOn icon, which will be at the top of your browser. Choose which device you want to cast to from the list of available devices, and watch the video on your TV!
A couple tips to remember:
- Your Roku device must be on the same network as your PC.
- To use PlayCast by PlayOn on your Roku, you must install the PlayCast Roku channel. You can get it free in the Roku channel store!
- Having trouble? Or find a site that doesn’t play nice with PlayCast? Is there a feature that you really love? Tell us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We love hearing feedback from you.