Dec. 3, 2013
So you've got an HD PlayOn or PlayLater license (or both!). Here's an HD primer to get you started!
Here are just a few of our favorite YouTube channels with HD videos. All you need to do is subscribe to the channel or add specific videos to a playlist under your YouTube user account.
- NPR Music channel - NPR live sessions
- Documentary HD channel- Some cool documentaries in HD
- KEXP channel - KEXP radio live performances from some amazing musicians in HD
- The Black Cab Sessions - intimate music performances in the back of a black cab
- A channel filled with cool animations by Patrick Boivine - this guy is super talented!
Random favorite videos (you can add specific videos to a playlist under your YouTube user account):
- Dragon Baby
- At-At Day Afternoon
- Austin City Limits full-length concerts in HD
- Videos from the Discovery channel
- Mumford & Sons Live
Getting smart has never looked so good! American Experience, Austin City Limits and Nova are a few of our favorites (check out a recent episode of Austin City Limits for an excellent performance by Jim James of My Morning Jacket! New episodes are available each week, but they aren't available long - record in HD using PlayLater before they expire!)
And, if last year is any indication, the 4th season of Downton Abbey should be available to stream free (!) for a limited time - that means you should be able to watch in HD using PlayOn or record using PlayLater before they expire.
MTV & VH1
Watch popular shows like Awkward in HD using PlayOn (or record to watch on the go). And don't forget Behind the Music Remastered from VH1 - Everything you wanted to know about the dudes from Motorhead - in HD!
Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Damages, Falling Skies, Sons of Anarchy and Downton Abbey available to watch or record in HD (we're thinking snowy weekend marathons!)...record now and watch apres ski sans internet ;)
If you haven't already, sign up for a free trial of Hulu Plus and use PlayLater to record full seasons of your favorite shows in HD and watch on any of your devices whenever you like...at home or on the go!
Vimeo is a recent addition to the PlayOn channel lineup and just in time! Some truly amazing HD videos are available. Set up a free Vimeo account and add your credentials to PlayOn and/or PlayLater Settings to follow your favorite HD channels or "like" specific videos.
I'm a hopeless romantic - this is one of my personal favorites: A Short Love Story in Stop Motion.
OR you can also select Categories and then HD and browse hundreds of HD-only channels (literally thousands of amazing HD videos).ShareThis
Dec. 3, 2013
Time and time again, we have heard from users like you asking, “When is high definition coming?” Well, folks, we are so excited to announce that today’s the day! PlayOn and PlayLater are now available in HD. What does this mean, exactly? Without HD, PlayOn and PlayLater deliver video up to 480p. Now with HD, PlayOn and PlayLater can deliver video quality up to 720p, as long as the channel provides content in that quality as well.
WHAT I NEED
You likely already have what you need to watch or record in HD. As long as you have a quad-core processor, your PC should be able to handle streaming and recording in HD, and if you’re an existing PlayOn or PlayLater customer, the software will tell you if your PC is HD-capable. Simply go to Settings and click on the General tab. If your PC is HD capable, you will see a link to “Upgrade to HD” in the Video Performance section. If you don’t have PlayOn or PlayLater, you can check your PC’s PassMark score to see if it can handle HD by clicking here. If your PassMark score is 2300 or higher, your PC is HD-capable.
While not every channel offers high definition content, the channels listed below do. Check the list below to see what you can watch with the new HD offering:
- Hulu Plus
- Fox News
- Animal Planet
- Discovery Channel
- Discovery Fit & Health
- Investigation Discovery
- Military Channel
- Science Channel
- Velocity Channel
- PBS Kids
WHAT WE’RE WATCHING
There is a ton of great HD content available on PlayOn. Below are a few of our favorites. Check back in on Thursday for some additional HD recommendations.
- On YouTube check out the Documentary Channel for some cool documentaries in HD. Subscribe under your YouTube account and stream in HD using PlayOn or record in HD using PlayLater.
- We love Once Upon a Time on ABC. You can catch up on the latest season in HD via Hulu
- Snowed in? We recommend a TV marathon! Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Damages, Falling Skies, Sons of Anarchy and Downton Abbey are all available to watch or record in HD on Amazon Instant Video.
Are you ready to see things a little more clearly on your TV or device? Head to www.playon.tv/features/HD to learn more or to add HD to your PlayOn and PlayLater licenses today!ShareThis
Nov. 20, 2013
We’re excited to announce that PlayCast by PlayOn is now available in the Roku channel store!
PlayCast by PlayOn lets you send videos from the browser of your screen directly to your big screen TV through your Roku. Basically, you have the functionality of a Chromecast, without having to buy a dongle. You can use what you already have – a Roku – to cast videos from your PC to your TV.
What’s awesome about PlayCast by PlayOn is that you can cast videos using the browser of your choice, including Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera.
Want to see how it works? Check out our PlayCast by PlayOn page or take a look at the steps below:
- Download PlayCast by PlayOn for free from the Roku channel store.
- Open PlayOn and enable PlayCast by PlayOn for your browser in your PlayOn Settings. Click on the checkboxes to enable PlayOn for your favorite browsers, and then click the “Apply” button.
- Open a browser and find a cool video that you want to cast to your TV. Nearly any video on any site will work. When you find the one you want to cast, just click on the PlayOn icon, which will be at the top of your browser. Choose which device you want to cast to from the list of available devices, and watch the video on your TV!
A couple tips to remember:
- Your Roku device must be on the same network as your PC.
- To use PlayCast by PlayOn on your Roku, you must install the PlayCast Roku channel. You can get it free in the Roku channel store!
- Having trouble? Or find a site that doesn’t play nice with PlayCast? Is there a feature that you really love? Tell us at email@example.com. We love hearing feedback from you.
Oct. 31, 2013
Happy Halloween fellow streamers! I've been working over the last week on assembling a list of some of my favorite scary movies and TV shows...With a little help from Mrs. Channel Master and our little PlayOn minions, we think we've come up with a pretty cool list to suit a variety of tastes (and stomachs). Watch with PlayOn or record with PlayLater to save for a weekend screamfest!
And, as a special treat we have added a new plugin to the PlayOn Plugin Channel Store just in time to enjoy for Halloween - Just like being at a 70's drive-in theater, without the speakers attached to your car door...Campy goodness from CreepyFlicks.com
For the Grown Ups
- Evil Dead & Evil Dead 2 - Crackle, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime
- Night of the Living Dead - Crackle, Hulu, Amazon Prime
- Nosferatu - Amazon Prime
- Hellraiser - Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime
- Supernatural - Netflix (prior seasons), TheCW (current season)
- American Horror Story - Netflix, Amazon Prime (prior seasons), Amazon VOD (current season)
- Psycho - Netflix
- Poltergeist - Amazon Prime
- The Gate - Amazon Prime
- An American Werewolf in London - Amazon Prime
- The Exorcist - Amazon VOD
- Re-Animator - Netflix and Amazon Prime
- The Night Stalker(Classic Series) - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/hammerheadx1
- The House on Haunted Hill (1959) - Hulu
- The Shining - Amazon VOD
- The Cabin in the Woods - Amazon Prime and Netflix
- Repulsion - Hulu
For the Entire Family
- The Watcher in the Woods - YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4DekRxRmjU
- Scooby Doo - KidsWB
- The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror - Hulu
- The Nightmare Before Christmas - Netflix
- Goosebumps - Netflix
- R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour - Amazon Prime
- Casper and Friends - Hulu
- The Addams Family (classic) - YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/results?filters=long&search_query=the+addams+fami...
- Beetlejuice - Amazon Prime
- Ghostbusters - Netflix
- The Witches - Amazon Prime
- The Worst Witch - YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUkVcd7SbTw
- The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr.Toad - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01P316lFXII
- Halloween is Grinch Night - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygSEkwRCQPM
Oct. 21, 2013
We've added several cool new plugins over the last couple of weeks. Be sure to stop by the Channel Store to check them out....and, as always, free to download!
PopCorn Flix: Popcornflix was created for people who want to watch "Great Movies. Free." Popcornflix has full-length movies that will make you laugh, make you cry, scare the heck out of you, or inspire you to hug the person you love.
Daily Motion: Dailymotion is one of the leading sites for sharing videos over the Internet.
Twitch.tv: Twitch is the world’s largest video platform and community for gamers.
Machinima: The Dominant Video Entertainment Network for Gamers
CBC: Canada's national public radio and television broadcaster. Includes television shows, news, and sports programming. Programming available only in Canada
Stay tuned - More exciting content on the way!
Oct. 2, 2013
Has anyone checked out the new TargetTicket service? It looks pretty cool so far.
I've been testing over the last couple of days and it turns out you can use PlayMark to watch videos from TargetTicket.com at your TV or mobile device...Or record those videos with PlayLater!
With a bit of patience, touch of magic...and some secret sauce - you can be watching or recording your favorite videos from TargetTicket.com in no time :)
- Stop the PlayOn server
- Hold SHIFT+ALT while starting the server again
- In the Internet Explorer window that opens, browse to TargetTicket.com
- Log in and play a video
- Close this IE window
- Now, launch IE (normally) and browse to TargetTicket.com
- Click on My Library
- Play a video.
- Click on the PlayMark button
Now you'll see the PlayMark window open with a message indicating "analyzing" followed by a message indicating there were no videos detected.
Click on next and you should now be able to select the video again in the PlayMark window. This time the video should be detected and play in the PlayMark window. Crop the video, click next and then choose to "save", "save & send to", or "save and record"...
That's all there is to it...As always, if you have any trouble just let us know. We are happy to help...Providing solutions and spreading the media streaming love - that's what we're all about!
Sep. 21, 2013
Many of you have asked about shows like White Collar from USA Network. Leading up to the premiere of a new season, USA generally makes the entire previous season available to stream free at Hulu...and White Collar is no exception.
For a limited time, season 4 is available to stream free in its entirety. And it's web only so it's not available using Hulu Plus - but you can watch on your TV or on your mobile device using PlayOn. Or use PlayLater to record the series before it expires. Happy streaming!
Sep. 10, 2013
Introducing PlayOn’s Show Finder: Find Your Favorite TV Shows and Movies on PlayOn!
A couple weeks ago, we asked you to challenge us to find your favorite TV shows, movies and clips to watch via PlayOn. You rose to the challenge and we had hundreds of requests for shows ranging from classics (I Love Lucy) to current staples (Breaking Bad)! I enjoyed telling you all how to watch your favorite shows and movies on PlayOn. I enjoyed it so much we decided to put my knowledge of where to find shows into an awesome new feature on our website – The Show Finder. Show Finder gives YOU the ability to search for your favorite TV shows, movies and video clips to watch on PlayOn. It cuts out the middleman (me) and puts the power in your hands.
We’ve spent quite a bit of time compiling this database of TV shows, movies and clips and categorizing what PlayOn channels you can use to access them. If you come across a show that is not in the database, let us know and we’ll keep an eye out for it. We hope you find this new feature as helpful as we do! How to use our Show Finder:
- Go to http://www.playon.tv/showfinder.
- Type in the name of the TV, movie or video clip you are searching for.
- A list of PlayOn channels will appear where you can find that TV show/movie.
- If a show or movie is not available, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to find it for you.
That’s it! Super easy to use and helpful beyond belief when you want to watch something specific on PlayOn. So what do you think? Will you use the PlayOn Show Finder? Let us know your thoughts, questions and comments on Facebook and Twitter, or by email.ShareThis
Sep. 6, 2013
Hi gang! I have been going through all of the results of the 5 day challenge we did a while ago and have assembled part 1 of the list of YouTube links and usernames for some of the great shows you all requested.
The Monkees, The Muppet Show, The Great Space Coaster, The Carol Burnett Show...Take a trip back to your childhood and enjoy!
Add usernames to the YouTube list in PlayOn Settings, subscribe to those users under your own YouTube account or use PlayMark to organize videos into your own custom channels...We are all about creative solutions. And if your show isn't on this list, stay tuned...more exciting stuff on the way!
The George Lopez Show: https://www.youtube.com/results?filters=long&search_query=george+lopez+s...
Dateline NBC: DatelineNBCreports
Press Your Luck: greenwater735
Classic Game Shows: gameshowtemple
Sale of the Century:
Nature Documentaries (and Animal Planet vids): AlliantContent
The Outdoor Channel:
The Carol Burnett Show: superspecialesme
Dog and Beth on the Hunt (PlayMark):
American Ninja Warrior (PlayMark):
The Match Game, Wheel of Fortune, What’s My Line:
Gilligan’s Island TV Movies:
Patty Duke: NickatNiteBlknWhite
Leave it To Beaver: NickatNiteBlknWhite
The Beverly Hillbillies: NickatNiteBlknWhite
Dobie Gillis: NickatNiteBlknWhite
Andy Griffith: NickatNiteBlknWhite
Backyardigans: ChildrenMediaCartoon, phables101
Wonder Pets: coolbearmak
Hogan’s Heroes: iParatrooper04
The Odd Couple, NewsRadio, All in the Family:
Home Improvement: Serial638
Kung Fu: OfficiallyKungFu
The Monkees: themonkeesrule12345
Have Gun Will Travel: NickatNiteBlknWhite
The Price is Right Pilot Episode:
The Howdy Doody Show: ClassicTV789,goldenclassictv
Car 54, Where Are You?: pippykins
Bill Nye The Science Guy:
Ghost Writer: IBeGhostwriter
Carmen San Diego:
G.I. Joe: stickpge,PunchorKissFilms
Square One TV (and other great educational programming): TonyDuMont
Spiderman (1967) and other classic Superhero cartoons: SuperheroKAPOW
Munsters Go Home!:
The Addams Family:
Newton’s Apple (and other eductational videos): lvlagnetoTwo
3-2-1 Contact: HomeschoolDad5280
Mama’s Family: jennprbabe
Tripping the Rift: AlienShame
Baby Blues: Castrum
The Green Hornet tv series: TheGreenestHornet
Border Wars Season 1-5: BorderWarsTV
The Pink Panther cartoon: ThePinkPantherChan
Young Indiana Jones Chronicles: IndianaJonesCROhr
The Great Space Coaster: BriSchwa82
The Jack Benny Show:
The Great GilderSleeves: wflyercomfilms
Rescue 911 (segments): allgood2000
Perry Mason: Boblebzel
The Golden Girls: goldengirlpalace
Aug. 29, 2013
How much do you pay for cable on a monthly basis? According to our most recent customer survey, 87 percent of you said that you spent at least $50 per month on your cable bill before cutting the cord. For those of you who haven’t cut cable yet, what are you waiting for?
Inspired by that survey, we created an infographic that helps you decide if you’re ready to cut cable and what your best options are for setting up a cable-free home. Depending on your preferences (are you a PC user? Mac user? Can’t live without sports?), this infographic guides you step-by-step through the intricacies of getting rid of cable.
Popular parenting website Babble shared our graphic – try it out for yourself and find out if you’re ready to get rid of cable: