Feb. 7, 2014
The 2014 Winter Olympics, officially the XXII Olympic Winter Games, have kicked off in Sochi, Russia.
Now that the live streams are available online, our team is hard at work building a plugin for the PlayOn Plugin Channel Store.
In the meantime, you can stil watch your favorites events live at your TV or mobile device using PlayOn.
Just be sure you have the PlayOn browser extension installed and browse here:
You can also find more videos here (replays and highlights): http://www.nbcolympics.com/video
- Play the video (you'll have to log in with a cable provider to watch the live stream and full event replays)
- Click on the PlayOn browser button
- In the PlayMark window that opens, verify the video is playing (and crop if you like)
- Click Next and then choose whether to 'Save' or 'PlayCast To' your TV. If you have PlayLater installed and running, you will also be presented with the option to record.
If you have any trouble, please try this:
- Stop the PlayOn server
- Hold SHIFT+ALT while starting the server again
- In the Internet Explorer window that opens, browse here: http://stream.nbcolympics.com
Choose a video - Are you prompted to log in? If so, log in and play the video.
Close IE, re-open your browser and try again to save or cast the video.
Feb. 6, 2014
Any music lovers out there? Check out this cool site
Live From Daryl's House
Some truly remarkable performances, and it works great with PlayMark and PlayCast! Just be sure to click on "Play Full Show" after selecting an episode...and then cast away...or record each week's new episode to watch whenever you like.
Dec. 23, 2013
Thank you for sharing some of your favorite holiday favorites with us. Here are a few of our own. Watch via PlayOn or record using PlayLater.
It's a Wonderful Life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frXklECPkD0
A Christmas Carol (1951): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XNKe1cGucY
A Christmas Carol (1984, George C Scott): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvdMjXhPGd0
Classic Disney Christmas Collection: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC-EWiwySjE
Twas the Night Before Christmas (1974): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOUFMmprpLI
Are You Being Served Christmas Special (1976): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOUFMmprpLI
Miracle on 34th Street (1947): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Ch6ivXHJo
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation: Netflix and Amazon Prime
Bah HumDuck - A Looney Toons Christmas!: Netflix
The Polar Express: Netflix
White Christmas: Netflix
The Nightmare Before Christmas: Netflix
Santa Claus The Movie: Netflix
Jack Frost (animated): Amazon Prime
The Legend of Frosty the Snowman: Hulu (free)
Scrooged: Amazon PrimeShareThis
Dec. 3, 2013
So you've got an HD PlayOn or PlayLater license (or both!). Here's an HD primer to get you started!
Here are just a few of our favorite YouTube channels with HD videos. All you need to do is subscribe to the channel or add specific videos to a playlist under your YouTube user account.
- NPR Music channel - NPR live sessions
- Documentary HD channel- Some cool documentaries in HD
- KEXP channel - KEXP radio live performances from some amazing musicians in HD
- The Black Cab Sessions - intimate music performances in the back of a black cab
- A channel filled with cool animations by Patrick Boivine - this guy is super talented!
Random favorite videos (you can add specific videos to a playlist under your YouTube user account):
- Dragon Baby
- At-At Day Afternoon
- Austin City Limits full-length concerts in HD
- Videos from the Discovery channel
- Mumford & Sons Live
Getting smart has never looked so good! American Experience, Austin City Limits and Nova are a few of our favorites (check out a recent episode of Austin City Limits for an excellent performance by Jim James of My Morning Jacket! New episodes are available each week, but they aren't available long - record in HD using PlayLater before they expire!)
And, if last year is any indication, the 4th season of Downton Abbey should be available to stream free (!) for a limited time - that means you should be able to watch in HD using PlayOn or record using PlayLater before they expire.
MTV & VH1
Watch popular shows like Awkward in HD using PlayOn (or record to watch on the go). And don't forget Behind the Music Remastered from VH1 - Everything you wanted to know about the dudes from Motorhead - in HD!
Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Damages, Falling Skies, Sons of Anarchy and Downton Abbey available to watch or record in HD (we're thinking snowy weekend marathons!)...record now and watch apres ski sans internet ;)
If you haven't already, sign up for a free trial of Hulu Plus and use PlayLater to record full seasons of your favorite shows in HD and watch on any of your devices whenever you like...at home or on the go!
Vimeo is a recent addition to the PlayOn channel lineup and just in time! Some truly amazing HD videos are available. Set up a free Vimeo account and add your credentials to PlayOn and/or PlayLater Settings to follow your favorite HD channels or "like" specific videos.
I'm a hopeless romantic - this is one of my personal favorites: A Short Love Story in Stop Motion.
OR you can also select Categories and then HD and browse hundreds of HD-only channels (literally thousands of amazing HD videos).ShareThis
Dec. 3, 2013
Time and time again, we have heard from users like you asking, “When is high definition coming?” Well, folks, we are so excited to announce that today’s the day! PlayOn and PlayLater are now available in HD. What does this mean, exactly? Without HD, PlayOn and PlayLater deliver video up to 480p. Now with HD, PlayOn and PlayLater can deliver video quality up to 720p, as long as the channel provides content in that quality as well.
WHAT I NEED
You likely already have what you need to watch or record in HD. As long as you have a quad-core processor, your PC should be able to handle streaming and recording in HD, and if you’re an existing PlayOn or PlayLater customer, the software will tell you if your PC is HD-capable. Simply go to Settings and click on the General tab. If your PC is HD capable, you will see a link to “Upgrade to HD” in the Video Performance section. If you don’t have PlayOn or PlayLater, you can check your PC’s PassMark score to see if it can handle HD by clicking here. If your PassMark score is 2300 or higher, your PC is HD-capable.
While not every channel offers high definition content, the channels listed below do. Check the list below to see what you can watch with the new HD offering:
- Hulu Plus
- Fox News
- Animal Planet
- Discovery Channel
- Discovery Fit & Health
- Investigation Discovery
- Military Channel
- Science Channel
- Velocity Channel
- PBS Kids
WHAT WE’RE WATCHING
There is a ton of great HD content available on PlayOn. Below are a few of our favorites. Check back in on Thursday for some additional HD recommendations.
- On YouTube check out the Documentary Channel for some cool documentaries in HD. Subscribe under your YouTube account and stream in HD using PlayOn or record in HD using PlayLater.
- We love Once Upon a Time on ABC. You can catch up on the latest season in HD via Hulu
- Snowed in? We recommend a TV marathon! Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Damages, Falling Skies, Sons of Anarchy and Downton Abbey are all available to watch or record in HD on Amazon Instant Video.
Are you ready to see things a little more clearly on your TV or device? Head to www.playon.tv/features/HD to learn more or to add HD to your PlayOn and PlayLater licenses today!ShareThis
Nov. 20, 2013
We’re excited to announce that PlayCast by PlayOn is now available in the Roku channel store!
PlayCast by PlayOn lets you send videos from the browser of your screen directly to your big screen TV through your Roku. Basically, you have the functionality of a Chromecast, without having to buy a dongle. You can use what you already have – a Roku – to cast videos from your PC to your TV.
What’s awesome about PlayCast by PlayOn is that you can cast videos using the browser of your choice, including Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera.
Want to see how it works? Check out our PlayCast by PlayOn page or take a look at the steps below:
- Download PlayCast by PlayOn for free from the Roku channel store.
- Open PlayOn and enable PlayCast by PlayOn for your browser in your PlayOn Settings. Click on the checkboxes to enable PlayOn for your favorite browsers, and then click the “Apply” button.
- Open a browser and find a cool video that you want to cast to your TV. Nearly any video on any site will work. When you find the one you want to cast, just click on the PlayOn icon, which will be at the top of your browser. Choose which device you want to cast to from the list of available devices, and watch the video on your TV!
A couple tips to remember:
- Your Roku device must be on the same network as your PC.
- To use PlayCast by PlayOn on your Roku, you must install the PlayCast Roku channel. You can get it free in the Roku channel store!
- Having trouble? Or find a site that doesn’t play nice with PlayCast? Is there a feature that you really love? Tell us at email@example.com. We love hearing feedback from you.
Oct. 31, 2013
Happy Halloween fellow streamers! I've been working over the last week on assembling a list of some of my favorite scary movies and TV shows...With a little help from Mrs. Channel Master and our little PlayOn minions, we think we've come up with a pretty cool list to suit a variety of tastes (and stomachs). Watch with PlayOn or record with PlayLater to save for a weekend screamfest!
And, as a special treat we have added a new plugin to the PlayOn Plugin Channel Store just in time to enjoy for Halloween - Just like being at a 70's drive-in theater, without the speakers attached to your car door...Campy goodness from CreepyFlicks.com
For the Grown Ups
- Evil Dead & Evil Dead 2 - Crackle, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime
- Night of the Living Dead - Crackle, Hulu, Amazon Prime
- Nosferatu - Amazon Prime
- Hellraiser - Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime
- Supernatural - Netflix (prior seasons), TheCW (current season)
- American Horror Story - Netflix, Amazon Prime (prior seasons), Amazon VOD (current season)
- Psycho - Netflix
- Poltergeist - Amazon Prime
- The Gate - Amazon Prime
- An American Werewolf in London - Amazon Prime
- The Exorcist - Amazon VOD
- Re-Animator - Netflix and Amazon Prime
- The Night Stalker(Classic Series) - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/hammerheadx1
- The House on Haunted Hill (1959) - Hulu
- The Shining - Amazon VOD
- The Cabin in the Woods - Amazon Prime and Netflix
- Repulsion - Hulu
For the Entire Family
- The Watcher in the Woods - YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4DekRxRmjU
- Scooby Doo - KidsWB
- The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror - Hulu
- The Nightmare Before Christmas - Netflix
- Goosebumps - Netflix
- R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour - Amazon Prime
- Casper and Friends - Hulu
- The Addams Family (classic) - YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/results?filters=long&search_query=the+addams+fami...
- Beetlejuice - Amazon Prime
- Ghostbusters - Netflix
- The Witches - Amazon Prime
- The Worst Witch - YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUkVcd7SbTw
- The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr.Toad - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01P316lFXII
- Halloween is Grinch Night - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygSEkwRCQPM
Oct. 21, 2013
We've added several cool new plugins over the last couple of weeks. Be sure to stop by the Channel Store to check them out....and, as always, free to download!
PopCorn Flix: Popcornflix was created for people who want to watch "Great Movies. Free." Popcornflix has full-length movies that will make you laugh, make you cry, scare the heck out of you, or inspire you to hug the person you love.
Daily Motion: Dailymotion is one of the leading sites for sharing videos over the Internet.
Twitch.tv: Twitch is the world’s largest video platform and community for gamers.
Machinima: The Dominant Video Entertainment Network for Gamers
CBC: Canada's national public radio and television broadcaster. Includes television shows, news, and sports programming. Programming available only in Canada
Stay tuned - More exciting content on the way!
Oct. 2, 2013
Has anyone checked out the new TargetTicket service? It looks pretty cool so far.
I've been testing over the last couple of days and it turns out you can use PlayMark to watch videos from TargetTicket.com at your TV or mobile device...Or record those videos with PlayLater!
With a bit of patience, touch of magic...and some secret sauce - you can be watching or recording your favorite videos from TargetTicket.com in no time :)
- Stop the PlayOn server
- Hold SHIFT+ALT while starting the server again
- In the Internet Explorer window that opens, browse to TargetTicket.com
- Log in and play a video
- Close this IE window
- Now, launch IE (normally) and browse to TargetTicket.com
- Click on My Library
- Play a video.
- Click on the PlayMark button
Now you'll see the PlayMark window open with a message indicating "analyzing" followed by a message indicating there were no videos detected.
Click on next and you should now be able to select the video again in the PlayMark window. This time the video should be detected and play in the PlayMark window. Crop the video, click next and then choose to "save", "save & send to", or "save and record"...
That's all there is to it...As always, if you have any trouble just let us know. We are happy to help...Providing solutions and spreading the media streaming love - that's what we're all about!
Sep. 21, 2013
Many of you have asked about shows like White Collar from USA Network. Leading up to the premiere of a new season, USA generally makes the entire previous season available to stream free at Hulu...and White Collar is no exception.
For a limited time, season 4 is available to stream free in its entirety. And it's web only so it's not available using Hulu Plus - but you can watch on your TV or on your mobile device using PlayOn. Or use PlayLater to record the series before it expires. Happy streaming!