Nov. 20, 2013
We’re excited to announce that PlayCast by PlayOn is now available in the Roku channel store!
PlayCast by PlayOn lets you send videos from the browser of your screen directly to your big screen TV through your Roku. Basically, you have the functionality of a Chromecast, without having to buy a dongle. You can use what you already have – a Roku – to cast videos from your PC to your TV.
What’s awesome about PlayCast by PlayOn is that you can cast videos using the browser of your choice, including Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera.
Want to see how it works? Check out our PlayCast by PlayOn page or take a look at the steps below:
- Download PlayCast by PlayOn for free from the Roku channel store.
- Open PlayOn and enable PlayCast by PlayOn for your browser in your PlayOn Settings. Click on the checkboxes to enable PlayOn for your favorite browsers, and then click the “Apply” button.
- Open a browser and find a cool video that you want to cast to your TV. Nearly any video on any site will work. When you find the one you want to cast, just click on the PlayOn icon, which will be at the top of your browser. Choose which device you want to cast to from the list of available devices, and watch the video on your TV!
A couple tips to remember:
- Your Roku device must be on the same network as your PC.
- To use PlayCast by PlayOn on your Roku, you must install the PlayCast Roku channel. You can get it free in the Roku channel store!
- Having trouble? Or find a site that doesn’t play nice with PlayCast? Is there a feature that you really love? Tell us at email@example.com. We love hearing feedback from you.
Aug. 29, 2013
How much do you pay for cable on a monthly basis? According to our most recent customer survey, 87 percent of you said that you spent at least $50 per month on your cable bill before cutting the cord. For those of you who haven’t cut cable yet, what are you waiting for?
Inspired by that survey, we created an infographic that helps you decide if you’re ready to cut cable and what your best options are for setting up a cable-free home. Depending on your preferences (are you a PC user? Mac user? Can’t live without sports?), this infographic guides you step-by-step through the intricacies of getting rid of cable.
Popular parenting website Babble shared our graphic – try it out for yourself and find out if you’re ready to get rid of cable:
Aug. 28, 2013
In the spirit of PlayLater winning a Mom’s Choice Award, we dedicated the entirety of last week to all of you parents who use PlayOn and PlayLater. We asked you to share stories of how your family gets the most out of PlayOn and PlayLater. We loved hearing what you had to say, so we thought we’d pass along your parental wisdom and share the top five ways parents use our software:
You love using PlayLater to record your kids’ favorite TV shows before they expire online.
You can find a ton of awesome streaming content online, but there’s usually a catch: it expires. Instead of letting your favorite TV shows and movies disappear forever, PlayLater lets you record and you're your family’s favorite media on hand and ready to watch.
You use PlayOn to watch home videos directly from your PC to your TV.
There’s nothing better than curling up with your family to watch home videos. The best thing about using PlayOn to watch home media is that there are no messy – or confusing – cords preventing you from watching your favorite memories. PlayOn makes streaming home videos from your PC to your TV wireless, easy and instant.
You use PlayLater to watch TV and movies while traveling – even with zero Internet connection.
Traveling with kids can be stressful. Whether your family is taking a road trip or hopping on a plane for your annual vacation, PlayLater allows you to pre-record TV shows or movies to watch on the go. The best thing is: you don’t have to connect to the Internet when using PlayLater. If the show is recorded, you can watch it anywhere. Plus, PlayLater is much cheaper than buying a new movie or swiping your credit card to watch a featured film on a plane trip. Not bad!
You access free Hulu content on TV, without Hulu Plus.
Hulu is one of the most popular streaming media channels on the planet as it has the latest and greatest TV shows – and a ton of great ones for kids and families. Typically you need Hulu Plus to watch Hulu’s content on your TV, but PlayOn makes it possible to stream directly from your PC to your TV – no Hulu Plus account needed! That saves you an extra $8.99 per month.
You like to schedule little “me” time.
Whether you use PlayLater to record your favorite show to watch after the kids go to sleep, or you put your kid’s favorite movie on PlayOn to get a little peace and quiet, PlayOn and PlayLater give you a little “me” time!
Aug. 20, 2013
We’re thrilled to announce that PlayLater has received a Mom’s Choice Silver Award. The Mom’s Choice Awards recognize the best family-friendly products, media and services— and this year they recognized PlayLater for its ability to bring households fantastic, family-oriented TV at an affordable price.
PlayOn and PlayLater have become staple names in our own households. Many of us PlayOn staffers have kids of our own, and instead of hearing our kids ask “Can I watch TV? ” we love hearing them say, “Mom, can I watch PlayLater?”
In honor of the award win, and because we want to thank and recognize all of the awesome families using PlayOn and PlayLater in their homes, we want to dedicate this week to parents! Moms and dads, you are the ones who are committed to keeping cable costs low for your family while still providing great TV options for everyone to enjoy. And you are the reason why your children have their favorite TV shows and movies recorded with PlayLater. Basically, you rock. We want to recognize that this week. Look for fun posts on Facebook and Twitter this week earmarked for the moms and dads of PlayOn.
Oh, and one more thing: since we consider you guys part of the PlayOn family, we want to get to know your family a little better. How has PlayOn and PlayLater impacted your lives as parents? How does your family use PlayOn and PlayLater? Share with us on Facebook and Twitter and we'll share your stories on our blog next week.
Aug. 7, 2013
We recently found ourselves reminiscing about a number of great shows that aren’t on TV anymore, like Gilligan’s Island, Flipper and Wonder Woman, and we realized – we can’t live without them! And then it occurred to us – all of you are probably thinking the same.
And that’s how we came up with the “Can’t Live Without It Challenge.”
We grabbed Skip, our channel master here at PlayOn, and challenged you to tell Skip your favorite shows that aren’t on TV anymore, the shows that are keeping you from cutting the cable, and even movies and TV you wish you could stream online. For the past few days, Skip has been at your beck and call, scouring the PlayOn databases to find exactly how and where you can use PlayOn to watch those programs. After all, that’s what we’re here for!
And so far, Skip has been a rock star. He has found hundreds of TV shows – including some favorites like I Love Lucy, The Carol Burnett Show and Three’s Company.
Have a show you just can’t live without, and want to know how you can watch it with PlayOn? Head to our Facebook page this week and challenge Skip – he’ll be available through this Friday, August 8. And keep an eye out for some additions to our website this month – we think you’ll like them!
Jul. 16, 2013
Looking for a way to watch TV on your BlackBerry? We’ve officially partnered with BlackBerry to bring all your favorite TV shows and movies to BlackBerry 10 devices for the first time – and we couldn’t be more excited!
As of today, you can download the PlayOn App from BlackBerry World to your BlackBerry Z10 or Q10 smartphone. With our app, you’ll be able to stream online content to your phone. Choose from more than 60 channels, including Hulu (no Hulu Plus subscription needed), Netflix, HBO GO, CBS, Comedy Central and Redbox. See here for a list of channels we offer.
Here’s how it works:
- If you don’t have it already, download and install the PlayOn software to your PC. It's only $49.99 for a lifetime license – plus we offer a 30-day money back guarantee. It will take just five minutes to set up.
- Download our free PlayOn mobile app, available in BlackBerry World onto your BlackBerry 10 device.
- That's it! Now you can watch your favorite TV shows and movies on your BlackBerry 10 device over Wi-Fi, 3G or 4G.
For more about our partnership with BlackBerry and what you get with the PlayOn app for BlackBerry 10, head to our PlayOn for BlackBerry page, or take a look at the press release. And remember, your feedback helps us make PlayOn the best it can be, so let us know what you think about our BlackBerry app on Facebook and Twitter, or by email.ShareThis
Jun. 17, 2013
In April we sent you a survey so you could tell us about your PlayOn and PlayLater experience. We were curious about why you use PlayOn and PlayLater and how you felt about cable. We wanted to see what was working well for you and what could use some work on our end.
The results blew us away.
More than 4,000 of you responded, and we got a lot of great feedback! So, as a thank you, we’re dedicating this week to you - the folks who are always willing to put in your two cents through surveys, Facebook conversations, tweets and emails, to help us create a better user experience. Take a look at the survey results below to see what you and fellow PlayOn and PlayLater users had to say.
Thanks again, loyal friends, for filling us in on your PlayOn and PlayLater experiences. We can’t wait to see what you have to say during next year’s survey! In the meantime, be sure to join the conversation on our awesome Facebook group where there’s never a dull moment with our followers! We’re also available to chat on Twitter or by email.ShareThis
Jun. 14, 2013
PlayMark is the new browser extension we told you about a couple of days ago. PlayMark lets you easily mark online videos and send them through PlayOn right to your TV. We wanted to take a quick opportunity to show you just how easy it is:
1) Enable PlayMark in your PlayOn Settings.
2) Select a bowser. You can hook up PlayMark with Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome and Opera.
3) Find a cool video that you want to stream to your TV. Whether it’s YouTube, Funny or Die or your best friend’s blog – nearly any video on any site (as long as it's in Flash, Silverlight, or HTML5) will work.
4) Mark your video. Right click on the web page that contains the video and select “PlayMark” to launch the PlayMark app. (If you use Opera, PlayMark will be installed as an icon in your toolbar.)
5) Send the video to your TV. If you have a Digital Media Renderer (DMR) device like a Roku or Xbox, you can send the video straight to your TV. Just select “save and send to TV." from PlayMark.
6) Watch the video on your TV! PlayMarked videos can be found in the PlayMark channel on PlayOn.
Tips to remember:
- You’ll need to update to the latest version of PlayOn to use PlayMark.
- If you use the Opera browser, you can access PlayMark as a toolbar button rather than using right-click.
- PlayMark works with videos (in the Flash, Silverlight, and HTML5 format) from any website – even those that are online only! We recommend checking out sites like YouTube, MySpace.com, Break.com, UStream and Justin.tv. You can even check out your local news stations to see what clips they’re streaming online.
- PlayMark is in beta, which means we want to hear from you. Your feedback will help us make PlayMark the best it can be. Find a site that doesn’t play nice with PlayMark? Is there a feature that you really love? Tell us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
So – go try it out, enjoy, and let us know what you think! As always, you can reach us on Facebook, Twitter or via email.ShareThis
Jun. 11, 2013
PlayOn just gave birth to triplets…3 new features…introducing, drum roll please, PlayMark, PlayTo and RecordTo!
We’re so excited. For starters, PlayOn can now let you watch VIRTUALLY ANY web video on your TV. It’s called PlayMark – and it is a web browser extension. Picture this – you’re browsing the web on your PC, you come across a cool video that you want to show to your family later on TV. You click the PlayMark icon in your browser menu to mark the video, and then continue happily browsing the web. Later that evening, you’re in front of the TV looking for something to watch – oh yeah, I wanted to show you guys something! Bring up PlayOn, find the PlayMark folder, click on it and --- in a few seconds you’re watching that same web video you PlayMarked earlier…right on your TV!
It’s in beta now, and if you want to be one of the first lucky ones to give it a test drive – check out the details at www.playon.tv/playmark.
PlayMark has this other cool feature integrated into it called PlayTo. Instead of simply bookmarking it for later -- if you have a Roku, Xbox 360 or Google TV (or any Digital Media Renderer (DMR)), you can just click “send to…” and the video will start playing on your TV (well, so long as the Roku/Xbox/GoogleTV is connected to that TV). You can also use PlayTo from your mobile phone or tablet. Just browse through the PlayOn app on your phone or iPad, click the play button, then select the device you want the video to play on and it’ll start playing on your TV, instantly. I know – cool, right?
It gets even better. We’re also including, for your convenience, at no extra cost…RecordTo. RecordTo is for PlayOn users who also have PlayLater, or “Bundlers”, as we like to call you guys. It lets you select a video from your phone’s PlayOn app and record it via PlayLater. As long as your PlayOn app is paired with your PlayLater PC and PlayLater is running, it will just add the video to the recording queue on your PC. How convenient is that? Now, using your phone, you can:
- Watch on your Phone (PlayOn)
- Send to your Roku (PlayTo)
- Record in PlayLater (RecordTo)
Yeah baby – all of this right from your phone or tablet.
So – welcome to our feature triplets: PlayMark, PlayTo and RecordTo – we hope you enjoy our new babies!
May. 14, 2013
Many folks have started noticing that there is a new channel in the Roku store called MyMedia. There seems to be some confusion and questions about it. Well - I am here to set the record straight. MyMedia was indeed developed by the developers of PlayOn, but is a FREE channel + FREE PC software app that lets you stream your media from your PC to your Roku (or other device). You can learn more about it here: www.playon.tv/mymedia.
The MyMedia Roku channel contains only the “MyMedia” functionality from PlayOn and no additional functionality. While PlayOn has recently made a number of enhancements to the MyMedia functionality, MyMedia is no different in the MyMedia channel on the private PlayOn channel. Recent enhancements include:
- Improved fast forwarding functionality for transcoded content
- Ability to include iTunes music playlists (check the Show iTunes playlists box in My Media Options)
- Better support for sharing media on network shares (NAS, etc.)
- Include embedded or external subtitles in transcoded output (check the Include subtitles box under Subtitles in My Media Options)
- Better hierarchy and structure of media file folders and categories
- Ability to specify file extensions that should be served directly to devices, without transcoding (provided your device supports the format)
- Generate dynamic cover art for all media, if possible to acquire from online sources
- Improved efficiency of metadata extraction from media files
- Checking parental control metadata
- Samsung TVs: show thumbnail images as well as the ability to directly serve .srt subtitle files
We are excited to have a product in the official Roku channel store and hope that folks find it useful in getting the most out of their Roku experience - and did I mention, it's 100% FREE?!