Feb. 29, 2012
So people have been asking – why do I need a DVR for online content when I am always online?
Well – I have 2 answers from my own experience:
1 – Despite the fact that YOU may always be online, the CONTENT actually isn’t = it expires, and perhaps before you got a chance to watch it.
2 – And actually, you aren’t ALWAYS online!
So, with that said, I thought I’d share my top 10 uses for PlayLater:
10. Record the entire season of Glee to watch during my family Glee marathon weekend for free from Hulu.
9. Record the last 2 weeks of Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice to watch in Whistler après ski (where Hulu is not available).
8. Record Salt from Netflix to watch in France while waiting in flat for child to recover from too many “French Fries”.
7. Record my favorite Pandora channel to enjoy while cooking dinner in said French flat.
6. Record a slew of fuzzy kitty and cuddly puppy dog YouTube videos to amuse and sooth kids on Flight from Seattle to NY.
5. Record last 5 episodes of Mad Men from Hulu to get me through flight from Seattle to Vegas and back (along with associated delays).
4. Record Memento from Netflix to watch while visiting my 92-year old grandmother who has to watch her “soaps” way too loud (even if I am visiting).
3. Record a bunch of Angelina Ballerina and Dinosaur Train to keep my kids of the Internet while trying to use it (read it’s slow) at my parent’s house.
2. Record the season of PanAm from Hulu Plus to see what all of the hype is about on the 5-hour ride to Whistler.
1. Record episodes of Sid the Science Kid off of PBSKids to entertain 3 yr old, 5 year old, and about 5 other pint-sized on-lookers while waiting for delayed cross-country flights in SeaTac.
You can try PlayLater for free for 14 days!
Feb. 20, 2012
Ever heard of magicJack…an infomercial phenomenon that makes VOIP simple and understandable to grandmas and kids (oh and they never use the word VOIP, obviously). If you read this blog, it is likely that you have never even heard of magicJack, yet 8 million of them have been sold in the US in the past few years...and it has folks who have never even heard of VOIP using IP telephony and canceling their phone service.
The savings on canceling your landline phone service pale in comparison to what we are paying the cable companies for our TV service. Well, PlayOn is moving one step closer to making that a thing of the past too. We affectionately call it MagicTV. Right now, for $79.99, you can get a lifetime license to PlayOn Premium PLUS a free Roku LT. With Roku+PlayOn you have everything you need to make your cable bill vanish. POOF. GONE. FOREVER.
See how cute the Roku LT is? And powerful – for only a $79.99 one-time, if you have a PC, a TV and broadband, then you have all you need to cut the cable cord – and save $80 PER MONTH (or perhaps more depending on what you are spending on your Cable bill). You will still get to watch your NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox favorites….in addition to Comedy Central, Netflix*, Amazon VOD, and over 30 channels in all – ON YOUR TV. Just plug the tiny Roku box into your TV and step through the simple setup instructions. Download PlayOn to your PC and add it to your Roku (instructions here). Don't be scared by the new device to plug in -- It’s really easy (we promise!). It’s < $80. It has no subscription fees (*except for Netflix if you want movies and some other subscription sites if you want movies and sports). It’s like magic....massive savings in a time where there are better ways to spend your hard earned $$ -- there has never been a better time to cut the cord!ShareThis
Feb. 2, 2012
Since we launched the PlayOn Channel Store in December, we have added over 35 plugin channels available to PlayOn users. That doubles the number of PlayOn channels to 70, and includes a lot of the niche content that we all love. As of today, the most popular three plugins are:
#1 HGTV (Design Star, All American Handyman, Curb Appeal, Hidden Potential, House Hunters, My Yard goes Disney,Property Virgins, Real Estate Intervention, Spike Up My Kitchen, Tough as Nails, and many more)
#2 TV Land (with classics like Everybody Loves Raymond, The King of Queens, The Andy Griffith Show and Gunsmoke; and newcomers like Hot in Cleveland and Happily Divorced)
#3 The WB (Friends, Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, Smallville, The OC, Veronica Mars, Chuck, Fringe, and cool new takes like Batman motion comics)
Installing a plugin is super easy.
1- You just go to the channel store: http://www.playon.tv/channel-store/
2- And find a channel you want to add to your PlayOn lineup.
3- Click Download on that plugin
4- As long as your PlayOn is running on your PC, you will see this window
5- Hit OK and then Yes here:
6- When PlayOn Settings opens, go to the General Settings Tab, and click on Stop (to stop the PlayOn Server), count to 20 and click on Start
7- Go to your device, fire up PlayOn, watch your new channel!
If you like the channel plugin and it works well (or you don’t….), be sure to let others know by voting. To do this – just click on the logo of the channel and then click on the thumbs up or thumbs down to vote!
In addition to HGTV, TV Land, and The WB, the other channels available through the PlayOn Channel Store include:
Beavis and Butthead
BestRussianTV (Live and On Demand Russian TV)
CBS College Sports(BTN)
Countdown with Keith Olbermann
CSpan Live Feeds
Open Yale Courses
Qubo Kids Shows
Rollercoaster POV Theater
Stanford Engineering Courses
U.S. Department of State
Wall Street Journal
Warriors of Wrestling
YuppTV (Live and On-Demand Indian TV)
Enjoy PlayOn and PlayLater (our latest product - the DVR for online videos) with over 70 channels available!ShareThis